Thursday, January 22, 2015

How to perpetuate peace with every single person in your life, per Patanjali.

At yoga teacher training last weekend, we had a discussion about the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. After the discussion, I began reading the version of the Yoga Sutras that were translated by Sri Swami Satchindananda, an Indian religious teacher and spiritual master. I feel they are one of the most important things to learn about when becoming a yoga teacher or when researching the topic of yoga. Why? I feel they hold many keys to peace and happiness.

What are the Yoga Sutras? Per Wikipedia (my favorite source for information), “[they are] 196 Indian sutras, or aphorisms.” Hold up. What is an aphorism? A good example would be the phrase, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” In other words, something that’s been noticed by many to be a general truth. The sutras make up the foundational text of Ashtanga yoga (the exercise of yoga as most of us know it), which is also known as Raja yoga (the yoga, or union, of the mind). “The Yoga Sutras were compiled around 400 CE by Patanjali, taking materials about yoga from older traditions.” These older traditions are so old that they cannot be traced from one single source. They've been passed down this far, however, because they've been regarded as truth for a very long time.


I was a little overwhelmed when I found out about the Yoga Sutras. 196 is a large number! Our instructor, however, made it easy for us. She told us precisely which one was the most helpful as to how to live a peaceful life. And, it turns out that Sri Swami agrees with her on which one is the most important to remember, too.

The sutra, translated into English, is as follows: "By cultivating attitudes of friendliness toward the happy, compassion for the unhappy, delight in the virtuous, and disregard toward the wicked, the mind-stuff remains its undisturbed calmness." Sri Swami says: "This sutra will be very helpful to you in keeping a peaceful mind in your daily life." 
How? Sri Swami states: "Patanjali gives four keys: friendliness, compassion, delight, and disregard. There are only four locks in the world. Keep these four keys always with you, and when you come across any one of these four locks, you will have the proper key to open it."

In our lives, Patanjali believes all people can be grouped into four categories:
the happy, the unhappy, the virtuous, and the wicked. Therefore, he suggests it's best to have these four attitudes towards each of those people: friendliness, compassion, gladness, and indifference. "If you use the right key with the right person you will retain your peace. Nothing in this world can upset you then," he says.   

I'll elaborate. Life cannot be lived without interaction with others, right? And, every relationship we have is not always in perfect peace, is it? Well, if we utilize these keys, we can obtain our own peace of mind as our relationships ebb and flow. 


The first key involves friendliness. 
We will always come across those who are happy. Good things happen to other people all the time. It is a very common feeling to have jealousy towards others we see who are happy, especially when we are not. But, by being jealous, "you will not disturb the other person, but you disturb your own serenity".

An example of me being jealous of others' happiness occurs whenever I hear about a friend or family member who had a baby. On occasion, when I'm scrolling through my news feed on Facebook and I see a barrage of baby pictures, I actually sometimes tear up! It's that bad! (Immediately, though, I take a nice long break from Facebook.) You see, my husband and I have been trying to have a child for about a year and a half. I am aware that's not a very long time for us to have been trying, but, I'm extremely impatient. Our inability to have kids has really been a test for me, and it's been a powerful one, because I definitely feel I need to work on my patience. I hate waiting for anything.


That being said, I'm actually also totally thrilled whenever I see or hear about others who have had kids, but a piece of me, deep inside, is jealous. I'll admit it. This is where Patanjali's first "key" can really help me. If you're ever jealous of anyone, just be happy for them. I know I'd rather just be happy for someone than jealous of them. If a baby is meant to happen for us, it will. What's the point of pouting in the meantime?

The second key involves compassion. This one is the opposite of the first key. If you see those who are unhappy, try to help them, if you can. Sri Swami says, "if you can lend a helping hand, do it. Be merciful, always. By doing that, you will retain the peace and poise of your mind." If you help someone in need, they will be grateful to you and you will ease your mind, and you'll feel better about giving to them as well. 

About nine years ago, I was 60 pounds heavier. I lost the weight by keeping a food journal and I began running. It took me about a year to shed that weight, and I learned a great deal in the process. After I had done it, many people took notice. My brother came to me several years later, asking for my assistance, as he wanted to lose some weight, too. I told him it wouldn't be easy, but he said he really wanted to. We worked together to find some food plans that would work for him and I also worked out along with him for awhile. In fact, he became so motivated that he ran his first marathon last year. AND he lost the weight! I have never been so proud of him. It was very fulfilling to help him because I know how much of a struggle it was to make such a large life change. It was tough for both of us, but it felt so good to help him.


The third key involves gladness for those who are virtuous. Sri Swami says to not envy virtuous people. "Don't try to pull them down. Appreciate the virtuous qualities in them and try to cultivate them in your own life." For whatever reason, when I first thought of a virtuous person, I thought of Oprah Winfrey. I think I thought of her because I always hear about how giving and philanthropic she is. There have been times when I've been just tired of hearing her name, since, for many years in my life, she was very often talked about in the media. I suppose the same can be said for other celebrities. On many occasions, it looks like they are just putting their money towards charities so that they can build good publicity for themselves. It pays for me to give them the benefit of the doubt, though, as I wonder if I would do the same, if I were them. It seems much more honorable to give your extra money towards helping others rather than to buy another expensive car or home. I think of it like this: why purchase more so you have more to worry about? Patanjali's words have helped me to see that what some celebrities are doing with their money might not just be a publicity stunt. 

The final key involves indifference. Sri Swami says, "we come across wicked people sometimes. We can't deny that. So what should be our attitude? Indifference. Don't try to advise such people because wicked people seldom take advice. If you try to advise them, you will lose your peace."


Regarding the wicked people in my life, well, I don't want to use any names. This is the Internet, after all! I am very lucky to say that I have run across very few wicked people. But, I do run into them sometimes. I think it is very easy to avoid wicked people. You just don't want to be near them, not one bit. Follow your feelings when it comes to people like that. They're impossible to change. You may wish to help them, but Patanjali is right in that all of your efforts will be wasted. To help yourself and to help the world, deal with the person if you must to get your business done with them, but then, just go on living, and try to set a good example. And, if you're into that sort of thing, pray for that person. That is pretty much the only thing I think we can do. All we all can do for those types of people is hope that they see the light eventually. Otherwise, we're just working on something that cannot be worked on...and causing ourselves more stress trying to change them. 


So, do your pockets or purses feel a little more heavy now that they've got these four fabulous new keys in them? Trust me, the weight is worth it! I think the more peaceful the relationships in our lives are, the more peace of mind we will have.

Sarah 

No comments:

Post a Comment