Saturday, December 13, 2014

Yoga is not about religion. It's about love. The rest is bull!

The true historic origins of yoga are a little fuzzy. The first people who practiced it probably believed in more than one God. Their reasons for doing it generally surrounded one theme: to be more God-like. This may be the reason why many people feel that yoga is tied in with religion. For today’s yoga, that is definitely not the case. Today, it’s about something much better than that: LOVE! It's about absolutely nothing else!

Why did those beginning yogis seek to be more God-like? What does that even mean? They desired something deeper than themselves. They wanted to know everything about themselves and others and to have absolute surety at all times of their actions, thoughts, and deeds. They longed for to feel complete and to erase their doubts. They also wished for a feeling of togetherness. They wanted a solid connection between surroundings and other beings.

They were seeking a connection that can probably only be described as love. Love for themselves, love for others, and love for everything.

It’s just like the picture I posted above. All the great spiritual teachers that some of today’s religions are based on only wanted to promote the philosophy of love. Unfortunately, their teachings have been altered in time to try and fit into different religious molds. However, we don’t need to follow any specific religion in order to be more God-like...to feel that love. We just have to open our hearts to feel the love all around, to recognize the love in ourselves and in others, and do our best to spread it further.

Today, many people come to their first yoga class strictly for the goal of reaping specific physical benefits. They may have heard that yoga helps relieve back pain. Or, maybe they've seen some of their friends become more fit as a result of a continuing yoga practice. Possibly, it was recommended by a doctor to help them lose weight. The reason I actually began going to yoga classes was I heard it was a great way to stretch my chronically tight hamstrings and prevent common running injuries (several of which I was prone to) as I trained for my first marathon.

As attending yoga classes became a more regular occurrence in my schedule, I most certainly did reap the physical benefits I had originally sought. But, something else came along with it, too. What the teachers had been saying during the yoga classes, both of an encouraging and enlightening nature, began to make me think. They welcomed the idea of setting an intention for my practice, whether it be for myself or someone else. They suggested concentrating on centering myself, believing in myself, and accepting myself, all throughout the practice, no matter how I did in each pose. I started feeling a little more loving towards myself as I continued attending yoga classes and consciously applying their little lessons to what I was doing on the mat. I started feeling more love for myself in my yoga classes.

I could even see how setting an intention for an action I was doing, and treating myself with much more acceptance, was something I could carry with me off the yoga mat.

I had started to feel a little more love for others as well. I few blog entries back, I wrote about the love that I felt (and still do deeply feel) for anyone else in a yoga class with me. I not only respect those in classes with me for sharing the same hobby, but also because they're sharing in a love for themselves. I hold a large amount of respect for those who love themselves.

This double dose of love that has developed in me, for myself and for others, has been creating a more complete feeling within me. It's helped me to feel a connection between myself and the world. I don't really know if I feel more God-like, but I definitely feel like I'm here for a reason. I feel a little more whole - more connected to others and to the world.

It's similar what the original teachers I mentioned above taught. Their entire philosophy was love. It's not about religion. It's not about putting boundaries and rules and regulations on obtaining the best feelings in the world and sharing them with others. It's about spreading love and kindness.

And, as one of my favorite yoga teachers says often during his classes, it's all about love and kindness. The rest is bullshit. Right, Willy Nelli? ;)

Spread that love and kindness...and it will come back to you!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment