Tuesday, December 2, 2014

It's true! Aaron Rodgers does yoga. But why?

I'm pretty sure those of you reading this know who Aaron Rodgers is. (If you're living in Wisconsin, that's kind of a given.) Even people who don't watch the Packers play football know that he's probably their most prized possession. Most of the sports world has their eyes on Aaron this season since the talented quarterback may lead the Packers to Super Bowl history this year.

To keep their mental and physical skills sharp, professional players try every tactic they can to give them an edge when it comes time to play. Something surprising was added to Rodger's off-season preparation this past summer - yoga. Really! And, apparently, it's made an obvious difference. Head Coach Mike McCarthy has taken notice of the changes. He's said, "[This year,] he's in the best shape that I've ever seen him in."

What did Aaron do? Hot yoga. 60-minute sessions at 90 degrees in 40% humidity, three times a week. Athletes can be apprehensive about yoga, but he really enjoyed it. Per him, "I loved it. The stretching, the atmosphere, the group setting, a teacher helping you reach your maximum flexibility. I felt so great after those hot yoga sessions."

Not only did Aaron notice his flexibility improve, but other aspects of his life got better, too.  "My sleep improved - my sleep patterns, every night. My energy improved - my sleep patterns, every night. My energy improved. I didn't have to drink coffee as much the next day. On some days, it's a necessity for me, to get going, to get a little jolt. [With yoga], it wasn't necessary." (From Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback on Sports Illustrated's Web site: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/08/12/aaron-rodgers-packers-hot-yoga-mailbag/.)

Even more benefits were reaped from his yoga practice. Along with the physical improvements, Rodgers' mentality improved as well. He also said: "I think through yoga you learn some good mental disciplines, being encouraged to try and clear your mind. I think those are good mental activities, to turn your brain off, focusing on those moments." How fabulous is it that he picked up on becoming more mindful after only several months of a regular practice?

I think it's also interesting to note that Rodgers' mindset about his future with the NFL changed as well. He's said that as long as he takes care of his body, he feels he could last longer playing pro football. "Three, four years ago, I didn't think mentally I could handle it, because it is a drain, mentally, going through everything, the preparation [for the season], everything [that needs to get done]," Rodgers said, according to the Journal Sentinel. "But when you're getting more sleep, and you're taking care of your body - and your body feels better, your mood is better. And this whole thing is more enjoyable. So I think that has really changed in me. Since I started taking a lot better care of my body, this whole thing has become a lot more fun. And you're like, I think I can keep doing this for another eight, nine, ten years." (From Yahoo! Sports: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/shutdown-corner/aaron-rodgers--plans-to-play-into-40s-by-hot-yoga--less-pizza-and-sleep-165017565.html).

His whole mindset on what he does for a living has changed. He's realized if you're centered, and taking care of right now, the future will just come as it needs to.

Who would have thought that a rough and tough NFL football player could see the benefits, both on and off the mat, of a regular yoga practice? What happened to Aaron, I think, is similar to what many others have experienced as they've grown in their yoga practice. That definitely was the case for me as well. I began doing it strictly for the physical benefits - mainly, greater muscle tone and flexibility. After several years of regular practice, however, the concepts, encouragement, and mindfulness I've picked up on have definitely helped me mentally to change for the better.

I don't really mean to toot yoga's horn...oh, for goodness sakes, who am I kidding, huh? Sure I do! Yoga is amazing! It's changed the lives, bodies, and minds of people from all walks of life, regardless of shape or size. To me, that is just so beautiful. It's not just about sinewy people in Spandex.

Wink, wink!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment