Friday, October 31, 2014

What are YOU afraid of? (In honor of Halloween, of course!)

"I am not fearless. I get scared plenty. But I have also learned how to channel that emotion to sharpen me." -Bear Grylls (of "Man Vs. Wild" on the Discovery Channel)


There's one thing in my life that I'm sure of: uncertainty. I am quite afraid of what I don't know. Why am I afraid? Because that makes me vulnerable. I hate being vulnerable. I like being strong and I prefer to know it all. I'm also a bit of a control freak. I like being sure of everything.


We all know that is an impossibility.


However, one of the unexpected benefits I've experienced from my yoga practice is that it's helped me deal with my fears. Really!


One of our homework assignments for yoga school was to work on our handstands. Do you remember trying those early on in life? They were something I did pretty often, actually, as I was in gymnastics when I was very young. But we certainly don't do them as adults! They are practiced in yoga because they're a form of inversion. Inversions help to "reset" our bodies, if you will. They aid with circulation. For many people they can be a pretty awkward part of class because it requires getting into a position they're not used to - upside down!


I have been practicing these handstands in our living room at home in the evenings, while my husband is relaxing on the couch. And he has gotten scared! He's mentioned he's afraid I might crash into something or hit the wall. It's so adorable. But...he's right. I might! (I haven't, though...YET...)


Him saying that made me realize that I used to be scared of handstands, too. In fact, I used to be scared of yoga in general. When I first started practicing, it was a big deal for me to just show up to class because it was so difficult when I started out. Eventually I got to try handstands and those were just nerve-wracking at the time. But, I still kept on practicing. I fell down several times...and so did most of the other people in class! Every time handstands were done in any class, I felt like we were having a little session where we were all a little scared, but we just dealt with the fear and did the handstands anyway.


This also resonated with the rest of my life - my life outside of yoga. I've felt myself say a little more often that I just don't have all the answers. I've also been a little more accepting of the days where I just feel like I have no idea what's going to happen. I've started to trust that what needs to happen, will. And, I've made many mistakes. I have fallen down...but I have gotten back up. Then I just try again!


What are you afraid of? Why? What if you just tried it? What if you fell down? And...so what if you did?


I would ask that you try a handstand...just one time...but, I don't think that handstands are for everyone. On the other hand, I definitely wanted to share how much doing something you're afraid of can make you so much stronger. Also, it doesn't have to be something that you get over immediately. I grew stronger and stronger each time I practiced yoga. It took years for me to feel comfortable in my practice. And...you know what? I'm still learning about ways to grow in my practice. I'm also still learning to deal with the mistakes I make in life.


I think I've concluded, as well, that all of us are afraid. But who cares? Based on my experiences with yoga, and consequently, in my life, this quote comes to mind:


"Feel the fear...and do it anyway." -Susan Jeffers


Happy Halloween!


Sarah





























No comments:

Post a Comment