Tuesday, October 28, 2014

"Ohhhhhmmmmm..." and other super awkward things about yoga

Yoga can be really confusing if you don't understand it.


Case in point: saying the chant, "Om". Well, more like, "OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM."


What the HECK does that even MEAN?


The first time I ever experienced the chanting of "Om" in a yoga class I felt extremely awkward! I had zero clue WHY we were doing this "Om" thing or what exactly the point was. I did do it along with the class...though extremely quietly...and I stopped doing it long before anyone else. Since then, I've experienced it at several other classes, and by then I knew what to expect, so I did it too. After several more times, I found that at the end of it there was this really cool silence. It was kind of calming.


Well, finally, I found out what it meant at yoga teacher training this last weekend. One of the main themes of yoga is that we're all connected in some way. And we're all on a journey together. And we're all moving, too! Humans, animals, nature, the Earth, the sun, the galaxy, the universe. And that collective noise we're all making - it's "Om"!


Now I think "Om" is the coolest thing. I love that we're all connected. I love that we can simulate that noise. And the silence after we chant "Om" is now more calming to me than ever.


Through my years of practice and at yoga teacher training, I've learned about some other of the things about yoga that are pretty darn awkward.


Some people think that yoga is a religion. Or a cult. Whenever it was brought up in conversation with me, I just changed the subject, because I didn't really know how to explain how it wasn't a religion. (There I go, feeling awkward again!) According to our yoga school instructor, yoga is not religion because there isn't an assigned deity (example: God) or necessary rituals that most religions assign to commemorate some sort of rite of passage. Each class is different...and during it, we're not worshipping anything.


And...actually, it's helped enhance my own personal religious beliefs. I still consider myself a novice Christian. I was only officially baptized as a Lutheran several years ago. Practicing yoga has led me to listen to my body more...treat it better, if you will...as God says we're all of Him. I've also been more in tune with what's around me - as in, I see things that happen to me as little lessons, or I learn from what I see. I also have a little bit more gratitude. When I found out what "Om" meant, I totally agreed with the concept because I already believe we're all of the same maker.


Another awkward conversation happened to one of my fellow yoga teacher students. Her mother-in-law thought that practicing yoga was narcissistic. Now, I could actually believe this one. One of the recurring themes in yoga is to concentrate on the self. Bettering the self. To be self-centered. But the definition of a narcissist is someone that is obsessed with oneself. They're extremely vain and egotistical. They're full of pride...in a negative way. Yoga concentrates on improving the self...in a positive way. Yes, it's about self-love. But it's also about loving everything else because we're all connected!


Now...to talk about THAT word.


Namaste. All of those yoga folks seem to say it.


What the heck IS namaste? Basically, it's a greeting. It's Sanscrit (the root language of many Indian languages). It's similar to "Aloha" in Hawaiian in that it can be used to say hello or goodbye. But, it is SO much more than that. Roughly, it means that the light in me honors the light in you. It's the verbal showing of sincere mutual respect. It commemorates the oneness between two people.


And...I found this beautiful picture that describes Namaste in its entirety!






I can totally see how some people may have drawn the conclusions they have about yoga based on what they've heard. And, I can definitely relate to any apprehension they may have felt...because I felt super awkward when I started doing it, too! After learning what I have, I am trying to not jump to conclusions about other things that I hear. I really respect those who are open minded and actually take the time to learn about something they don't understand. What is heard and passed around is not always truth. And, I've learned THIS lesson all too well - assuming certainly does make an a** out of you and me...because, whenever I assumed, I was usually wrong!


On that note...NAMASTE!


Sarah






No comments:

Post a Comment